Trial Search Results
Delayed Blood Stem Transplantation in HLA Matched Kidney Transplant Recipients to Eliminate Immunosuppressive Drugs.
The study will determine whether patients with functioning Human Leukocyte Antigen (HLA) matched kidney transplants for at least one year and who want to discontinue immunosuppressive drugs can be treated with Total Lymphoid Irradiation (TLI) and rabbit Anti-Thymocyte Globulin (rATG) and an HLA matched donor hematopoietic progenitor cell infusion such that their drugs are successfully withdrawn while maintaining normal renal function.
Stanford is currently accepting patients for this trial.
- Biological: Hematopoietic cell transplantation
- Radiation: Total Lymphoid irradiation
1. All consenting adults of age 18 years and older with previous HLA matched sibling
living donor renal transplants who still have their HLA- matched kidney donor
available, and who have no history of acute or chronic rejection.
2. Patients who agree to participate in the study and sign an Informed Consent
3. The HLA-matched donor meets the Stanford Bone Marrow Transplant criteria for stem cell
donation, agrees to participate and has signed an Informed Consent.
4. The pair is confirmed to be HLA-matched (2 haplo type match) as determined by the
histocompatibility laboratory at Stanford.
5. Patients who have no known contraindication to the administration of rabbit ATG or
6. Males and females of reproductive potential who agree to practice a reliable form of
contraception for at least 18 months post transplant.
1. Known allergy to ATG or a known allergy to rabbit proteins.
2. History of malignancy with the exception of non-melanoma skin malignancies.
3. Pregnant women or nursing mothers.
4. Serological evidence of HIV, Hepatitis B (HepBsAg+) or Hepatitis C infection.
5. Leukopenia (with a white blood cell count < 3000/mm3) or thrombocytopenia (platelet
count < 100,000/mm3)
6. Previous history of acute or chronic rejection of the kidney transplant or recurrence
of the original disease.
7. Screening kidney biopsy demonstrating acute or chronic rejection, recurrence of
original disease or interstitial fibrosis/Tubular Atrophy (IF/TA) score greater than
Ages Eligible for Study
18 Years - N/A
Genders Eligible for Study