Trial Search Results
Phase I Study of CUDC-101 With Cisplatin and Radiation in Subjects With Head & Neck Cancer
This is a phase I dose escalation study of CUDC-101 in combination with concurrent cisplatin and radiation therapy in patients with locally advanced head and neck cancer. CUDC-101 is a multi-targeted agent designed to inhibit epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR), human epidermal growth factor receptor Type 2 (Her2) and histone deacetylase (HDAC). The study is designed to establish the safety, tolerability and maximum tolerated dose (MTD) of CUDC-101 when administered in combination with concurrent cisplatin and radiation over an 8-week treatment course, consisting of a one week run-in period of CUDC-101 administered alone, followed by seven weeks of combination treatment with CUDC-101, cisplatin and radiation therapy.
Stanford is currently not accepting patients for this trial.
- Drug: CUDC-101
- Drug: Cisplatin
- Radiation: Radiation Therapy
- Subjects with locally advanced, pathologically confirmed diagnosis of squamous cell
carcinoma of the head and neck at the following sites: oral cavity, oropharynx,
hypopharynx and larynx with either:
- Stage IV p16 positive tumors and >10 pack-years smoking history.
- Stage III/IV p16 negative tumors, regardless of smoking history.
- At least evaluable disease; one measurable site of disease according to RECIST
(Version 1.1) criteria (at least 10 mm for conventional CT/MRI or spiral CT scan) is
- Subjects enrolled in the MTD expansion cohort must have at least 1 tumor lesion that
is suitable for repeat biopsy (pre- and post-CUDC-101 infusion).
- Age ≥ 18 years
- ECOG performance < 2
- Life expectancy ≥ 3 months
- If female, neither pregnant nor lactating
- If of child bearing potential, must use adequate birth control throughout the
participation in the treatment phase and for 60 days following the last study
- Absolute neutrophil count ≥ 1,800/µL; platelets ≥ 100,000/µL; hemoglobin ≥ 8.0 g/dL,
creatinine ≤ 1.5x upper limit of normal (ULN); total bilirubin ≤ 1.5x ULN; AST/ALT ≤ 2
- Serum magnesium and potassium within normal limits (may be supplemented to achieve
- Able to render informed consent and to follow protocol requirements.
- Prior radiotherapy to the region of the study cancer or adjacent anatomical sites, or
> 25% of marrow-bearing area.
- Prior chemotherapy for the current indication.
- Prior therapy that specifically and directly targets EGFR, HER2 or HDAC.
- Use of investigational agent(s) within 30 days prior to study treatment.
- Primary tumor site of nasopharynx, sinuses, or salivary gland.
- History of cardiac disease with a New York Heart Association (NYHA) Class II or
greater congestive heart failure (CHF), myocardial infarction (MI) or unstable angina
in the past 6 months prior to Day 1 of treatment, serious arrhythmias requiring
medication for treatment.
- Patients with prolonged QTc Interval >450 msec.
- Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) or known infection with human
immunodeficiency virus (HIV). Testing is not required.
- Known history of gastrointestinal bleeding, ulceration, or perforation within 6 months
prior to study treatment.
- Known history of stroke or cerebrovascular accident within 6 months prior to study
- Symptomatic cardiac conduction abnormality within 12 months prior to study treatment.
- Prior history of hearing impairment.
- Known history of renal disease or ongoing renal impairment.
- Any uncontrolled condition (such as active systemic infection, diabetes,
hypertension), which in the opinion of the investigator, could affect the subjects
participation in the study.
- Prior allergic reaction to cisplatin, carboplatin or other platinum-containing
- Central nervous system metastases.
Ages Eligible for Study
18 Years - N/A
Genders Eligible for Study