Trial Search Results
The IDEA Study (Individualized Decisions for Endocrine Therapy Alone)
This study will collect rates of local/regional recurrence in select patients who do not receive radiation treatment after lumpectomy surgery. These women must be postmenopausal; have hormone receptor-positive, Her2-negative tumors; have Oncotype-DX RS less than or equal to 18; and plan to receive endocrine therapy. In this way, this study seeks to collect prospective data supporting the idea that this is a population at sufficiently low risk of local/regional recurrence that omission of adjuvant radiation might be a reasonable option.
Stanford is currently not accepting patients for this trial.
University of Michigan Rogel Cancer Center
Collaborator: Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey
- Other: endocrine therapy alone without radiotherapy
- Postmenopausal status, as defined by (a) patients age 60 or greater, or, (b) patients
age 50-69 with either (a) s/p bilateral oophorectomy, or, (b) intact uterus without
menses in the past 12 months, or, (c) biochemical confirmation of postmenopausal
- Histopathological confirmation of Stage 1 (pT1N0M0) invasive breast cancer status post
breast conserving surgery
- Negative axillary nodes (isolated tumor cells with no cluster measuring >0.2mm
- Allowable options for axillary staging include:
- Sentinel node biopsy only
- Sentinel node biopsy followed by axillary dissection
- Axillary dissection only
- Margins of excision ≥2mm
- ER+, PR+, Her2 - using the current College of American Pathologists guidelines
- Oncotype-DX RS ≤ 18
- Disease must be unifocal on clinical, radiologic, and pathologic examination
- Registration within 90 days of last surgical procedure for breast cancer treatment
- Patient must willingly sign study specific informed consent prior to study entry
- Patient must be a candidate for and willing to take endocrine therapy for minimum of 5
years (aromatase inhibitor or tamoxifen). Patients who have already begun endocrine
therapy after lumpectomy are eligible.
- Patient must have had breast imaging (mammogram or MRI) of the ipsilateral breast
within 6 months and contralateral breast within 1 year of study entry.
- Patient must have Zubrod performance status 0-2
- Evidence of multifocal or multicentric breast cancer that has not been biopsy-proven
negative. Note that MRI is not required for this study, but if performed, evidence of
disease beyond the site of the primary tumor in the ipsilateral breast or in the
contralateral breast must be biopsy-proven not to be malignant before registration.
- Metastatic disease. Note that no specific staging studies are mandated, but any
studies performed must not provide clear evidence of metastatic spread.
- Previous radiation therapy to the breast region
- Prior DCIS or invasive breast cancer
- Bilateral breast cancer
- Prior non-breast invasive malignancy other than non-melanoma skin cancer, unless there
has been no evidence of disease for at least 5 years
- Known carrier of a mutation known to predispose towards breast cancer development
(including BRCA-1 and BRCA-2). Note: testing for mutation status is not required for
this protocol; this criterion applies only to patients who have been tested and have
known carrier status.
Ages Eligible for Study
50 Years - 69 Years
Genders Eligible for Study