Trial Search Results
Investigation of Novel Surgical Imaging for Tumor Excision
This is a multi-center, two-arm randomized, blinded pivotal study to demonstrate the safety and efficacy of the LUM Imaging System (LUM015 imaging agent in conjunction with the LUM Imaging Device and decision software), in identifying residual cancer in the lumpectomy bed of female breast cancer patients undergoing breast surgery in order to assist surgeons in reducing the rates of positive margins.
All enrolled subjects will be injected with LUM015 prior to surgery. Surgeons are blinded to whether a participant will be randomized into the device arm until after the standard of care lumpectomy is complete. Participants will then be randomized to receiving the device. Therapeutic (Lumicell guided) shaves will be removed based on the guidance of the LUM Imaging System. Patients will be followed until their first standard of care post-operative follow-up visit.
Stanford is currently not accepting patients for this trial.
Collaborator: National Cancer Institute (NCI)
- Combination Product: Study Device Arm
- Subjects must have histologically or cytologically confirmed primary invasive breast
cancer, ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) or primary invasive breast cancer with a DCIS
- Female, age of 18 years or older.
- Subjects must be scheduled for a lumpectomy for a breast malignancy.
- Subjects must be able and willing to follow study procedures and instructions.
- Subjects must have received and signed an informed consent form.
- Subjects must have no uncontrolled serious medical problems except for the diagnosis
of breast cancer, as per the exclusion criteria listed below.
- Subjects must have organ and marrow function within limits as defined below:
- Leukocytes > 3,000/mcL
- Platelets > 75,000/mcL
- total bilirubin within normal institutional limits
- AST (SGOT)/ALT (SGPT) < 2.5 X institutional upper limit of normal
- Creatinine ≤ 1.5 mg/dL or creatinine clearance > 60 mL/min/1.73 m2 for subjects
with creatinine levels above institutional normal.
- Subjects with ECOG performance status of 0 or 1.
- Subjects who have been diagnosed with bilateral breast cancer and are undergoing
bilateral resection procedure
- Subjects who are pregnant. Breastfeeding should be discontinues if the mothers is
treated with LUM015
- Subjects who are sexually active and not willing/able to use 2 medically acceptable
forms of contraception (hormonal or barrier method of birth control, abstinence) upon
entering the study and for 60 days after injection of LUM015.
- Subjects who have taken an investigational drug within 30 days of enrollment.
- Subjects who will have administration of methylene blue or any dye for sentinel lymph
node mapping on the day of the surgery prior to imaging the lumpectomy cavity with the
LUM Imaging Device.
- Subjects who have not recovered from adverse events due to other pharmaceutical or
- Subjects with uncontrolled hypertension defined as persistent systolic blood pressure
> 180 mm Hg, or diastolic blood pressure > 110 mm Hg; those subjects with known HTN
should be stable with controlled HTN while under pharmaceutical therapy.
- History of allergic reaction to polyethylene glycol (PEG).
- History of allergic reaction to any oral or intravenous contrast agents.
- Uncontrolled intercurrent illness including, but not limited to ongoing or active
infection, symptomatic congestive heart failure, unstable angina pectoris, cardiac
arrhythmia, COPD or asthma requiring hospitalization within the past 12 months, or
psychiatric illness/social situations that would limit compliance with study
- HIV-positive individuals on combination antiretroviral therapy are ineligible.
- Any subject for whom the investigator feels participation is not in the best interest
of the subject.
- Subjects undergoing a second lumpectomy procedure because of positive margins in a
previous surgery prior to entering this study
- Subjects with post-biopsy hematomas greater or equal to 2 cm that are visible on
physical exam or detected during pre-operative observations.
- Subjects with prior ipsilateral breast cancer surgeries, mastectomies, breast
reconstructions or implants.s with prior ipsilateral breast cancer surgeries,
mastectomies, breast reconstructions or implants
- Subjects with prior ipsilateral reduction mammoplasties (breast reductions) performed
less than 2 years prior to enrollment to this study.
- Subjects previously treated with systemic therapies to treat the cancer to be removed
during this clinical investigation, such as neo-adjuvant chemotherapy or hormonal
- Subjects undergoing breast conserving surgery whose resected speciment (main lump,
shaves, or any other resected tissue) will be evaluated with frozen section after the
Lumicell-guided removal of shaves.
Ages Eligible for Study
18 Years - N/A
Genders Eligible for Study
Not currently accepting new patients for this trial
Stanford Cancer Center South Bay
2589 Samaritan Drive
San Jose, CA 95124