Trial Search Results
Pilot Study to Evaluate MR-guided Laser Ablation of Focal Lesions in Patients With Medically Refractory Partial Epilepsy
To investigate whether MR-guided laser induced thermal therapy in patients diagnosed with focal lesional epilepsy using the Visualase Thermal Therapy System is both a feasible and safe minimally invasive technique for control of seizures in such patients.
Stanford is currently accepting patients for this trial.
- Procedure: Laser ablation
- Age 18 years or older at entry to protocol.
- History of MRI lesional-related epilepsy for at least one year.
- Failure to respond to more than 2 anti-epileptic drugs at adequate dose and duration.
- Candidate for resective epilepsy surgery.
- Considered healthy enough to undergo surgery with general anesthesia.
- The patient has given written informed consent after the nature of the study and
alternative treatment options have been explained.
- Must have 3 months of seizure frequency recorded prior to procedure.
- Presence of any non-MRI compatible implanted electronic device.
- Presence of a metallic prosthetic or implant including artificial hips, knees, joints,
or rods and screws.
- Active Major depression
- History of Suicide attempts
- History of Non-Epileptic Behavioral Spells
Ages Eligible for Study
18 Years - 75 Years
Genders Eligible for Study