Trial Search Results
Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells For Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
This is a Phase 1, open label, dose escalation, multi-center clinical trial of Allogeneic Bone Marrow-Derived Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells (hMSCs) for the treatment of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS). The purpose of this study is to assess the safety of hMSCs in patients with ARDS.
Stanford is currently accepting patients for this trial.
Michael A. Matthay
Collaborator: University of Minnesota
- Biological: Allogeneic Bone Marrow-Derived Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells
Patients will be eligible for inclusion if they meet all of the below criteria. Criteria
1-3 must all be present within a 24-hour time period and at the time of enrollment:
Acute onset (defined below) of:
1. A need for positive pressure ventilation by an endotracheal or tracheal tube with a
PaO2/FiO2 ratio < 200 with at least 8 cm H2O positive end-expiratory airway pressure
2. Bilateral infiltrates consistent with pulmonary edema on frontal chest radiograph
3. No clinical evidence of left atrial hypertension for bilateral pulmonary infiltrates.
In addition to meeting inclusion criteria, enrollment must occur within 96-hours of first
meeting ARDS criteria per the Berlin definition of ARDS.
1. Age less than 18 years
2. Greater than 96 hours since first meeting ARDS criteria per the Berlin definition of
3. Pregnant or breast-feeding
5. Presence of any active malignancy (other than non-melanoma skin cancer) that required
treatment within the last 2 years
6. Any other irreversible disease or condition for which 6-month mortality is estimated
to be greater than 50%
7. Moderate to severe liver failure (Childs-Pugh Score > 12)
8. Severe chronic respiratory disease with a PaCO2 > 50 mm Hg or the use of home oxygen
9. Patient, surrogate, or physician not committed to full support (exception: a patient
will not be excluded if he/she would receive all supportive care except for attempts
at resuscitation from cardiac arrest).
10. Major trauma in the prior 5 days
11. Lung transplant patient
12. No consent/inability to obtain consent
13. Moribund patient not expected to survive 24 hours
14. WHO Class III or IV pulmonary hypertension
15. Documented deep venous thrombosis or pulmonary embolism within past 3 months
16. No arterial line/no intent to place an arterial line
17. No intent/unwillingness to follow lung protective ventilation strategy or fluid
18. Currently receiving extracorporeal life support (ECLS) or high-frequency oscillatory
Ages Eligible for Study
18 Years - N/A
Genders Eligible for Study