Trial Search Results
A Preliminary Investigation of Pre-Frontal Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) for the Treatment of Cannabis Use Disorder
This investigation will preliminarily determine if a course of high frequency rTMS applied to the left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, will reduce cue elicited craving, and cue reactivity in treatment seeking cannabis use disordered participants.
Stanford is currently accepting patients for this trial.
Collaborator: National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
- Device: Active rTMS
- Device: Sham rTMS
1. Participants must be able to provide informed consent and function at an intellectual
level sufficient to allow accurate completion of all assessment instruments.
2. Participants must be between the ages of 18 and 60.
3. Participants must meet DSM-5 criteria for at least moderate Cannabis Use Disorder,
with use of at least 20 out of the last 28 days.
4. Participants must express a desire to quit cannabis.
5. Participants must have a Positive UDS for cannabis during their enrollment visit
(confirming they are regular users).
1. Participants must not be pregnant or breastfeeding.
2. Participants must not test positive for any substance other than cannabis on UDS
during their enrollment visit.
3. Participants must not meet moderate or severe use disorder of any other substance with
the exception of Nicotine Use Disorder.
4. Participants must not be on any medications that have central nervous system effects.
5. Participants must not have a history of/or current psychotic disorder or bipolar
6. Participants must not have any other Axis I condition requiring current treatment and
must have a HRSD24 ≤10 indicating no clinically relevant depressive symptoms.
7. Participants must not have a history of Dementia or other cognitive impairment.
8. Participants must not have active suicidal ideation, or a suicide attempt within the
past 90 days.
9. Participants must not have any contraindications to receiving rTMS (e.g. metal
implanted above the head, history of seizure, any known brain lesion).
10. Participants must not have any unstable general medical conditions.
Ages Eligible for Study
18 Years - 60 Years
Genders Eligible for Study