©2022 Stanford Medicine
Effect of Different Skin Creams on TEWL
Trial ID: NCT03663673
Prospective, single center, clinical pilot study to test the hypothesis that lipid rich EpiCeram® is superior in improving skin barrier function compared to Aveeno Daily Moisturising Sheer Hydration Lotion®.
Comparison of Two Different Skin Creams and Their Effect on Transepidermal Water Loss (TEWL) in Pediatric and Adult Patients With Atopic Dermatitis: A Pilot Study
1. Parent guardian must be able to understand and provide informed consent per
Institutional Review Board (IRB) guidelines and regulations.
2. Male or female participants, between the ages of 0 to 40 years will be included
3. Diagnosis of moderate to severe active AD (Scoring Atopic Dermatitis (SCORAD) score >
26) without a history or current manifestations of eczema herpeticum (EH)
4. AD affecting at least 3 different skin areas (contralateral arms and one lower
1. Inability or unwillingness of a parent guardian to give written informed consent, or
to comply with study protocol.
2. Participants with skin disease other than AD that might compromise the stratum corneum
barriers (e.g., bullous diseases, psoriasis, cutaneous T-cell lymphoma (also called
Mycosis Fungoides or Sezary syndrome], dermatitis herpetiformis, Hailey-Hailey, or
3. Known or suspected immunosuppression
4. Severe concomitant illness(es)
5. History of serious life-threatening reaction to latex, tape, or adhesives
6. Has received total body phototherapy (e.g., ultraviolet light B [UVB], psoralen
ultraviolet light A [PUVA], tanning beds [>1 visit per week]) within 30 days of the
7. Use of topical corticosteroids, topical immunomodulatory agents (such as calcineural
inhibitors and crisaborole), or topical antibiotics on the upper or lower extremities
within 7 days of the Enrollment Visit
8. Has taken a bleach bath within 7 days of the Enrollment Visit
9. Use of systemic antibiotics, antiparasitics, antivirals, or antifungals within 7 days
of the Enrollment Visit.
drug: Aveeno Daily Moisturising Sheer Hydration Lotion®
School of Medicine
300 Pasteur Drive
Stanford, CA 94305