©2022 Stanford Medicine
Pilot Study to Determine Radioiodide Accumulation and Dosimetry in Breast Cancers Using 124I PET/CT
Trial ID: NCT00725946
This is a pilot imaging study for women whose tumors express NIS [Na+I- symporter, sodium iodide symporter]. Eligibility is limited to the presence of strong (3+) and/or plasma membrane staining in > 20% of cells as determined by immunohistochemical methods. A total of 10 patients will be imaged with 124I PET/CT (serial scans over 24 hour period) to determine radioiodide uptake and distribution in tumor tissue. Thyroid iodide uptake and retention will be blocked beginning one week prior to 124I PET/CT scan with thyroid hormone (T3) and methimazole (impedes organification). Tumor, organ and whole body dosimetry will be calculated in each patient.
A Pilot Study to Determine Radioiodide Accumulation and Dosimetry in Breast Cancers Using 124I PET/CT
Laurence Katznelson, MD
Professor of Neurosurgery and of Medicine (Endocrinology)
Iris C. Gibbs, MD, FACR, FASTRO
Professor of Radiation Oncology (Radiation Therapy) and, by courtesy, of Neurosurgery
Lawrence Recht, MD
Professor of Neurology and, by courtesy, of Neurosurgery
Inclusion Criteria:1. Stage I-IV breast cancer. Patients must have clinical or radiographic
evidence of localized or metastatic disease.
2. Criteria for NIS-positivity are defined as: >= 20% of cells with plasma membrane and/or
strong intracellular/plasma membrane immunoreactivity 3. Any previous therapy including
radiation therapy is allowable. 4. Women 18 years of age or older. 5. Patients must have a
life expectancy of at least 3 months 6. Patients with ECOG Performance Status 0-3 will be
eligible. 7. If on chemotherapy, thyroid suppression should be initiated no sooner than two
weeks after last chemotherapy cycle.
8. Ability to understand and willingness to sign a written informed consent document.
9. Discontinuation of hormonal or biological therapies for the 10 days of the study is
preferred but not mandated.
10. Laboratory tests (CBC, comprehensive metabolic panel) must be performed within 120 day
prior to study initiation. Exclusion Criteria:1. History of metastatic thyroid cancer 2.
Exclude the use of cytotoxic, hormonal or biological agents for one week prior to and
3. Pregnant or nursing patients will be excluded from the study as iodide can accumulate in
the breast and is transported across the placenta.
4. Inability to tolerate thyroid hormone and/or methimazole pre-imaging treatment.
5. History of thyroid cancer (because patient could have concomitant thyroid cancer
metastases and therefore competitively concentrate radioiodides) 6. Psychiatric or
addictive disorders that are not adequately controlled and would preclude obtaining
7. Patients with heart disease or other significant cardiac risk factors will be excluded
from receiving thyroid suppressive therapy so as to avoid precipitating a cardiac
radiation: PET/CT with Iodine-124
School of Medicine
300 Pasteur Drive
Stanford, CA 94305